The Mathews County Finance Department handles a variety of functions. Most functions are interdepartmental. Each month the Finance department is responsible for handling all claims from outside vendors. The amount of claims received for processing can vary anywhere from 300 per month to 500 per month during our busiest time of the year (June/July). Other functions the Finance department is responsible for are Benefits Administration, Payroll, Risk Management, Purchasing, Personnel, Human Resources and Internal Controls.
The County of Mathews pays claims every two weeks on average. All claims are approved by the Board of Supervisors during their regular meeting each month. Personnel are paid on the last business day each month.
In an effort to provide better transparency in government, we post several financial documents online. Below you will find the following documents:
- Proposed new fiscal year County Budget (This is the County Administrator's first draft of the recommended budget as presented to the Board of Supervisors)
- Budget Adoption Schedules (This schedule is adopted by the Board and outlines the various meetings and deadlines of the budget process. All meetings are open to the public. Public comment is welcome during Public Hearings.)
- Budget Advertisements (These advertisements are required persuant to Sections 15.2-2503, 15.2-2506, 22.1-93 and 58.1-3007 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended. This is where the Board of Supervisors announces a public hearing on the proposed budget as well as any changes in tax rates)
- Adopted County Budgets including Schools (These are the final adopted and amended budgets. They are normally adopted in May of each year with amendments adopted at the Board of Supervisors regular monthly meeting in June)
- Amendments (Any amendments adopted by the Board of Supervisors after the budget has been adopted will be listed here)
- Adopted Schools Budgets (These are the final adopted and amended budgets which the Mathews County School Board adopts and then submits to the Board of Supervisors for adoption each year)
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (Audit Report) (These reports are the audited financials of the entire local government. These reports are compiled by external auditors)
- Monthly departmental claims reports (Accounts Payable) (These show all invoices that have been paid during a particular time period)
- Monthly expenditure and revenue summary reports (These are basically a summary of the above information)
- Monthly check registers (This lists all vendors with check numbers that have been paid each month)
If you wish to have any of these documents in excel format, please contact the Finance office at 804-725-7172. Timeline of the Mathews County Budget Adoption process.