Family and Consumer Sciences programs provide informal education that increases knowledge, influences attitudes, teaches skills, and inspires aspirations. Through the adoption and application of these practices, the quality of individual, family, and community life is improved. Family and Consumer Sciences brings specialist, agent, and volunteer expertise together to address the needs and priority issues facing Virginia's families. Five specific goals are addressed:
1) To provide education from numerous disciplines addressing societal issues of concern to individuals and families;
2) To assist communities in analyzing the status of families and identifying appropriate community action to meet the needs of families;
3) To train volunteers and program assistants to assist the Family and Consumer Sciences program;
4) To motivate people to become involved in community issues and to develop leadership potential in those people;
5) To collaborate with other Extension program areas, and form partnerships with other agencies, community organizations, and educational groups.