All Inspection Requests require a minimum of 24 hours prior notice and the permit number
Per section 113.7 of the USBC, the Building Department has 2 working days to complete Inspections. Note: inspection times CAN NOT be requested or scheduled
An online inspection request form is on the "Request Inspections" page
- Footing (prior to pouring concrete: excavation is complete, reinforcement and grade stakes are installed); before a footing inspection can be performed, Planning & Zoning must perform a set back verification.
- Slab and-or the placement of concrete (prior to pouring concrete: prep-work or forms installed; reinforcement installed; any below slab insulation, plumbing or electrical installed and tested)
- Foundation/Floor joist/Projection (sill plate with anchor bolts & floor joists, prior to sub floor).
- All modular homes and new foundations for elevation projects must have a Foundation Inspection prior to setting the home on the new foundation.
- Rough In: plumbing, electrical and mechanical prior to concealment.
Note: with the adoption of the 2015 USBC, duct testing is now mandatory (N1103.3.3)
- Framing (building needs to be weather tight, roof complete and windows/doors installed and taped/sealed). An exterior veneer inspection may be requested for siding/veneer installation (prior to the interior framing being complete).
- Insulation (spray foam insulators must leave job card with product info and ICC-ESR or similar type data). All insulation materials must be labeled per the USBC.
- Fire resistant rated construction (garage-dwelling separation, fire walls, fire barriers, smoke barriers, etc)
- New electrical service/reconnect (with 2 ground rods or USBC approved grounding system & one GFCI electrical receptacle)
- Temporary electrical power (with ground rod, GFCI electrical receptacle and approved Dominion VA Power set-up or configuration)
- Gas lines (with 15 pounds of pressure on a 30 pound gauge; or half the gauge pressure)
- Fireplace-chimney throat (when first flue tile is installed)
- Marriage wall (for manufactured & modular homes)
- Manufactured home/on-frame modular: piers, tie downs and ground anchors
- Final inspection (all work must be complete).
With the adoption of the 2015 USBC and per N1103.3.3 of the Virginia Residential Code, ducts shall be pressure tested to determine air leakage. A written report of the results of the test shall be signed by the party conducting the test and provided to the code official. The test results must comply with N1103.3.4
NOTE: All projects in a flood zone (SFHA) must have an elevation benchmark set prior to any inspection (and the work beginning).
A copy of the approved plans must be onsite and available to the Building Official or Inspector at all times.
If a Certificate of Occupancy is to be issued, the Building Department must have a copy of the following (prior to the Final Inspection): an elevation certificate prepared by a RDP for buildings located in flood zones (SFHA); Virginia Department of Health approval for well & septic (or verification of HRSD connection). A statement from the Virginia Department of Health indicating the well & septic systems are safe, adequate and proper will meet this requirement.
Manufactured homes must have USBC approved steps and skirting installed prior to the Final Inspection and a Certificate of Occupancy being issued. Prior to the Final Inspection, the "Manufactured Home Installation Certification" form must be completed and submitted to the Building Department.
Pools require (at a minimum): a bonding inspection; if the pool is concrete, an inspection prior to placing any concrete; if the pool is pre-formed/pre-made an inspection of the excavation site is required; a trench inspection for the circulation system, wiring, etc; and a Final Inspection with an approved barrier or cover per the USBC and the ISPSC.
Per the USBC (State Building Code) and the Code of Virginia (State Law), a Certificate of Occupancy shall be obtained prior to occupancy of any building or structure. This includes: new construction; rehabilitation; alterations; additions; and change of occupancy.