Dog tags go on sale the day of the annual rabies clinic each year. Deadline for dog tags is December 31st for the upcoming calendar year.
§ 6-13 License Required; tax.
It shall be unlawful for any person to own or harbor a dog four months old or over in Mathews County unless such dog is licensed as required by the provisions of the Code of Virginia. Dog license taxes shall be paid for the calendar year, namely January 1 to December 31, inclusive, and the license tax shall be payable at the office of the County Treasurer as follows:
One year tags
Kennel-1 to 20 dogs: $35
Kennel-21 to 50 dogs: $45
Duplicate licenses to replace current previously purchased licenses shall be issued for $1 per tag.
§ 6-14 Payment of license tax.
The license tax shall be due and payable as follows:
- On or before January 1 and not later than January 31 of each year, the owner of any dog four months old or older shall pay a license tax as prescribed in the preceding section.
- If a dog shall become four months of age or come into the possession of any person residing in this county between January 1 and October 1 of any year, a license tax for the current calendar year shall be paid by the owner forthwith.
- If a dog shall become four months of age or come into the possession of any person in this county between November 1 and December 31 of any year, the license tax for the succeeding calendar year shall be paid forthwith by the owner, and such license shall protect the dog from the date of payment of the license tax to the end of the succeeding calendar year.
§ 6-17 Application for license.
Any resident of this county may obtain a dog license by making oral or written application to the Treasurer, accompanied by the amount of the license tax and certificate of vaccination. The Treasurer shall have authority to license only dogs of owners or custodians who reside within the boundary limits of Mathews County and may require information to establish the location of the residence of the applicant. Upon receipt of proper application and certificate of vaccination, the Treasurer shall issue a license receipt on which he/she shall record the name and address of the owner or custodian, the amount of the license tax paid, the date of payment, the year for which issued, the serial number of the tag, and whether for a male, unsexed female, female or kennel and shall deliver the metal license tags or plates to the applicant forthwith.
§ 6-18 Vaccination or inoculation against rabies required.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to own or have the custody of any dog four months or more of age within the county unless such dog shall have been vaccinated or inoculated, by a currently licensed veterinarian, against rabies, with a serum and in a manner approved by the State Board of Health, and such vaccination or inoculation is kept current and effective to produce immunity to rabies as determined by the State Board of Health by reason of the type and dose of such vaccination or inoculation.
- Any person bringing a dog within the county, to be kept within the county, shall comply with the requirements of Subsection A of this section within 30 days.