News Flash


Posted on: November 20, 2020

Mathews County Resources During COVID-19

Mathews County City Seal

Mathews County Resources for COVID-19 


I need food.

Residents can apply for SNAP by calling 1-855-635-4370 or apply online at OR contact Mathews Social Services at 804-725-7192 and they can mail you an application for SNAP. 

Hands Across Mathews (HAM) distributes food every Wednesday from 10 AM to 12 PM but you must complete an application to be approved. Contact Mathews Social Services and they will complete one for you over the phone. If you are already receiving SNAP, you are approved for food distribution with (HAM).

Living Waters Church located at 2061 Windsor Road in Dutton, distributes food on the last Saturday of every month from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. 

I am worried I have coronavirus.

Contact your regular medical provider and follow their advice. If you do not have a regular medical provider, contact Med Express Urgent Care in Gloucester at 804-824-9962 or Velocity Urgent Care at 804-381-4361. If you are having difficulty breathing, please contact 911. Three Rivers Health District information line is set up to answer your questions at 804-313-1638.

I am a senior or disabled individual who needs help at home.

Contact Mathews Department of Social Services at 804-725-7192 who can make referrals for Meals on Wheels, Companion Care or Bay Aging. 

Contact Bay Aging for the Helping Neighbors Program at 800-493-0238.

I need shelter.

Contact Mathews Social Services at 804-725-7192.

Contact the GUEST Shelter at 804-792-5046.

I need help staying in my home.

If you have lost your job or had reduced hours due to COVID-19 contact Bay Aging for rent or mortgage assistance at 800-493-0238.

Contact Hands Across Mathews for assistance with your rent. They can be reached by calling Mathews Social Services. 

Contact Mathews Social Services for assistance with your rent or mortgage at 804-725-7192.

I need help with my power.

Contact Mathews Social Services regarding energy assistance 804-725-7192.

Someone is making me feel unsafe in my home.

Call 911. This is an emergency, even if you know them well. Call Avalon at 757-258-5051 for 24-hour help.

To report child or adult abuse or neglect, contact Mathews Social Services Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM at 804-725-7192. Outside of those hours, for child abuse/neglect call 1-800-552-7096. Outside of those hours, for adult abuse/neglect call 1-888-832-3858.

I have lost some or all of my income because of the coronavirus.

To apply for unemployment benefits call 1-866-832-2363 or apply online at

I need medical insurance.

To apply for Medicaid call 1-855-242-8282 or apply online at

If you need an application mailed to you, please call Mathews Department of Social Services at 804-725-7192.

If you do not qualify for Medicaid, please contact Gloucester-Mathews Free Clinic at 804-210-1368.

I need supplies for my baby/child. 

Contact the Mathews Health Department regarding WIC at 804-725-7131 to obtain formula and other food for your child. 

Contact Mathews Social Services at 804-725-7192 regarding other needs for your baby/child.  

I am employed and need help with Child Care.

Contact Mathews Social Services to apply for child care assistance at 804-725-7192.

Contact the YMCA for school aged childcare at 804-725-1488.

Childcare assistance is available from Mathews Social Services even if you don’t qualify for assistance from the state program.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home