The Mathews County Electoral Board will meet on Tuesday, January 5th at 2pm in the Registrar's office located at 10604 Buckley Hall Rd, Mathews, VA
November COVID-19 Notice
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, voters are encouraged to vote by mail for this election. Precincts will be open following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and practicing social distancing.
November 3, 2020 General Election
Polls are open on Election Day from 6 am to 7 pm.
Get registered, apply for an absentee ballot or see where you vote at the Virginia Department of Elections.
- Absentee Voting begins Friday, September 18, 2020.
- Voter Registration Deadline - Monday, October 13, 2020
- Deadline to apply for Absentee ballot:
- In Person -October 31, 2020
- By Mail - October 23, 2020
Ballot Drop-Off Locations
The Mathews County Voter Registration and Elections Office will serve as a drop-off location for the November 3, 2020 General and Special Election. Voters may drop ballots at the voter window or voting room during normal office hours M-F 8-4 and 10/24 & 10/31 8-4. In addition, There will be drop-off locations at the polling locations on Election Day from 6am-7pm.
There will also be drop-off locations at the polls on Election Day. The Chesapeake and Westville Precinct will share a drop-off tent in the bus loop between the schools and Piankatank will have a tent outside the precinct.
Before visiting your local registrar’s office, check your registration status or call your registrar’s office. Also review the application to insure you have all of the information necessary to complete the process. If you are not already registered, you will have to wait five days after registration before you can be issued an absentee ballot (exception for military and overseas voters only).
If you have a Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles license or ID card, you can register online using our Online Absentee Ballot (OAB) application.
- Within 45 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote, visit your local registrar’s office to vote absentee in-person.
- You will be allowed to vote absentee in-person using a voting machine in the registrar’s office. Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.