The County of Mathews wants everyone to be able to access and understand the information on our website.
IF YOU CAN NOT ACCESS OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND OUR WEBSITE, PLEASE CALL THE COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR’S OFFICE AT 804-725-7172.
The County of Mathews encourages the public to visit its’ website (http://www.mathewscountyva.gov) as the first place to look for information on County resources and services. The County is dedicated to facilitating easy access to web resources for all citizens. Computers with web access are available for public use in the Mathews Memorial Library. If you cannot access the web, or if you have questions concerning the content on the County’s web pages, do not hesitate to CALL 804-725-7172 for assistance. Staff is available Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to answer your questions.
What is "Accessibility"?
"Accessibility" means that all people, despite physical challenges and disabilities, can access web resources to find the information they need. Meeting this goal is a challenge. Technology to make "accessibility" a reality is constantly changing; both for the provider of the information as well as the person requesting the information. The County continues to work hard to improve how they deploys technology to better present data to the public. The following is a list of the commonly used resources the city uses for guidance.
- Section 508 technical standards
- Web Accessibility Initiative of the World Wide Web Consortium
- Information Technology Technical Assistance and Training Center
While it is the County’s goal to become fully "accessible" by all citizens, it will require time to implement. The County would like to remind visitors to call the County Administrator’s office at 804-725-7172, as an alternative resource for finding information.
- May 2018 - Redesign web pages to move most important information to the top of the screens, minimizing the need to scroll down pages. Redesigned links that are more straight forward for the sight impaired. Moved most sought-after information to the front of the site for ease of access.
- Enhance the accessibility to County forms
- Ensure newly created applications are accessible
- Upgrade legacy applications to become accessible
- Upgrade legacy data for accessibility
- Adding accessibility as a requirement for "software as a service" or "consumer off the shelf" products that we use.