Mathews County Animal Control
County Administration Building - 1st Floor
P.O. Box 839
Mathews, Virginia 23109
(804) 725-7177 (Dispatch)
(804) 725-7805 (Fax)
All calls including routine, emergencies and after hours, are dispatched through the Mathews County Sheriff's office at 804-725-7177.
Mathews County Animal Control is for the protection and management of licensed companion animals and for the protection of domestic animals (livestock). Animal Control Officers are knowledgeable of the animal control and protection laws of Virginia and the County’s ordinances they are required to enforce. They have the power to issue summonses or obtain felony warrants as necessary in the process of enforcing these laws and ordinances.
Animal Control Officers answer Mathews County citizens’ calls regarding animal complaints in a timely and professional manner with documentation of each complaint. Upon taking or obtaining custody of an animal on behalf of society, they immediately make a record of that matter.
Such documentation includes:
- The date on which the animal was taken into custody
- The date record made
- A description of the animal including the animal’s species, color, breed, sex, approximate age, and approximate weight
- The reason for taking custody of the animal and the location where custody was taken
- The name and address of the animal’s owner, if known
- Any license or rabies tag, tattoo, collar, or other identification number carried by or appearing on the animal
- The disposition of the animal
To report an animal incident, such as an animal bite, an animal missing, an animal in distress or being neglected, call the County Sheriff’s office dispatch at 804-725-7177. Dispatch will take your report and contact the Animal Control Officer on duty. In the case of an emergency after 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or on weekends and holidays, call the Mathews County Sheriff’s office at 804-725-7177 and the dispatcher will take your report and dispatch the appropriate authority.
- All stray animals are kept in accordance with the following State guidelines
- Strays without a collar or identification are kept 5 days (the first day is not counted)
- Strays with a collar but without identification are kept 10 days (the first day is not counted)
The Gloucester-Mathews Humane Society (Shelter) is located at 6620 Jackson Lane, Gloucester, VA 23061. Their phone number is 804-693-5520. Visit their website at www.gloucestermathewshumanesociety.org. To obtain information and/or set up an appointment to visit the shelter if you are missing your animal, please call the shelter directly.
All dogs four months or older must have a Mathews County dog tag. Dog tags go on sale the day of the annual rabies clinic each year in October. The deadline for purchasing your dog tags is December 31st for the upcoming calendar year. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required to purchase a dog tag and must be presented at the time of purchase. Dog tags may be purchased at the annual rabies clinic or by mail or in person at the Mathews County Treasurers office and the current prices are:
Failure to purchase a dog tag in a timely manner could result in a summons being issued to the owner by the Mathews County Animal Control Officer. If found in violation, the owner could be fined $25.00 per dog plus incur cost of court. A collar on your dog with a County tag and your name and phone number is your assurance that your dog will be returned to you if he/she should get lost or is injured on the road.
One year tags
- Un-neutered/Un-spayed: $10
- Neutered/Spayed: $5**
- Kennel-not over 20 dogs: $25
- Kennel-21 to 50 dogs: $35
- Un-neutered/Un-spayed: $25
- Neutered/Spayed: $10***
**Evidence from a licensed veterinarian required.
Duplicate licenses to replace current previously purchased licenses shall be issued for $1 per tag.
For all matters related to wildlife, please visit the Department of Game & Inland Fisheries website at www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife. There you will also find information on wild animal trapping services.