NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Mathews County Building Department has a new online Inspection Request Form.
Please see the Inspection Request Page:
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: the new 2015 Virginia USBC shall take effect on 09-04-2018
- Effective 08-21-2018 a new Trade Permit Application will be used. This takes the place of the old mechanical, electrical and plumbing permit applications. This application will be used for all mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fuel gas and fire safety work.
- Starting July 1, 2018 new-revised Permit Fees take effect, please see the Building Permit Fees page.
- DCR's newly revised and updated online Flood Map.
- Important Notice: Working in a Flood Zone
- June is the beginning of hurricane season. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) has a new hurricane evacuation zone map and data driven system called Know Your Zone. Visit www.knowyourzoneva.org to find out more.
- Notice regarding Mathews County Building License and obtaining a permit.
- Effective 01 Nov 2016: When submitting an application for a deck, plans must be submitted. The plans must show framing details, post sizes, beam & joist spans, etc. The plans must also indicate if the deck is supported by a dwelling/building or if it's free-standing.
May is Building Safety Month. The Mathews County Building Department will be supporting this important initiative by creating a new web page.
Important Notice regarding engineered flood vents
All engineered flood vents must have an up to date engineering certificate or ICC ES report based on the currently adopted codes and referenced standards (2012 USBC; ASCE-24-05; FEMA TB-1-2008).
All elevation certificates submitted must have a copy of the engineering certification or ICC ES report attached to it.
** Update** New FEMA Elevation Certificate
The newest version of the FEMA Elevation Certificate is now available.
Per FEMA and the State of Virginia (DCR-Floodplain Management) this form must be used on all new Elevation Certificates; there is no transition or grace period from the older form.
The following link is to a Fillable PDF version of the new Elevation Certificate:
The new FEMA Floodproofing Certificate is also available online at the following link:
The Building Department and the Planning & Zoning Department now have a drop box for your convenience. The drop box is located in front of the Administration Building. If you need to drop off any paper work, documents, plans, etc. feel free to use the drop box. This is a weather tight secure drop box.