The Mathews County Health Department offers valuable services in the area of Health Care, Family Planning, Environmental Health as well as other services.
The Health Department is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Arrangements can be made for evening and weekend screenings and special health events in all localities.
Health Care Services: (* = sliding fee scale based on income)
• Pregnancy Testing - counseling, referral
• Family planning (by appointment)
• Immunization (required for school, free; others, minimal charge). Each of our 10
HDs offers immunizations by appointment.
• STD counseling, screening, examination, diagnosis, treatment, and followup.
• HIV/AIDS testing, prevention education, case management, and Primary Care (in
collaboration with Eastern Virginia Medical School)
• TB screening, testing & follow-up services
• Communicable Disease outbreak investigation, treatment, referrals, prevention of
• Rabies titers and pre-exposure vaccinations, post-exposure followup.
• Health promotion consultation and programs
• Women, Infants and Children (WIC) nutrition services.
• Breast/cervical cancer education and detection.
• Cardiovascular Risk Reduction - targeted screening and counseling, and referral
• Preconceptual health
Family planning clinic sessions are concurrent in hours per month:
• Mathews, 2 clinics/month
Other Health Services:
• Lead screening - testing, referral, followup (Environmental Health Specialist assists
• Pre-admission nursing home screenings
• School based preventive (dental sealant) program in King & Queen, Lancaster,
Northumberland, Richmond, and Westmoreland schools depending on availability of
• Children's Dental Clinic in Richmond County
• Resource Mothers (pregnant teens and their children to age 2)
• Sickle Cell and other genetic disease counseling
• Infant Safety Seat Program (car seats)
• Family Assessment and Planning Teams
• Community Health Education (schools, senior centers, service groups, etc.)
• School Programs - family life education, general health, personal hygiene, and
• Head Start physicals (preschool indigent children)
• Preschool physicals (indigent 4-5 years old)
• EPSDT (Early Periodic Screening Diagnosis and Treatment) in conjunction with
• Children With Special Care Needs (CSHCN)
• Mobilizing for Actions Through Planning and Partnerships (MAPP)
Local Public Health System Assessment
Essex and Northern Neck
• Community Arthritis Program, Chronic Disease Self-Management Course
Environmental Health Services: (fixed fee for some)
• On-site sewage disposal permits
• Well permits
• Restaurant/food service permits and inspection
• Food service sanitation training (with Extension Service)
• Marina inspection
• Swimming pool and tourist establishment inspection
• Complaint investigation
• Rabies investigation
*Animal Bite Investigations and follow up
• Restaurant Inspections